Friday, December 31, 2021

The Little Animal!

 The Little Animal!

 

Amber cut my hair for me today. She said that my hair was getting a little shaggy, but with all the extra taken off, it looked as if a little animal had been left on the floor. Yep, now have a washcloth hairdo. Might be mistaken for a guy from a distance, but that has happened before when ponytails were all the rage. The electric man was putting in wires in Petrolia and thought that little boy was too close to the electric box and shouted at “him.” Went in and told Mom that a haircut was needed. To tell the truth, that ponytail was a beast anyway. It took too long to get the tangles out, and Mom detested having to stand there and brush forever. So, the next hair style was the “Bubble” that Billie Jean Rutledge tried to do for my hair. We found out very quickly that a certain little girl was very allergic to the solution used for permanents. Mrs. Rutledge had to wash it out, but the haircut was fine anyway.

 

Jennifer and Gary are celebrating their 27th wedding anniversary tonight. My granddaughter and her friend are going to be there, too. Reece invited them, and, of course, Lance had to check to be sure that this invitation was approved by his sister. It made me laugh. AS IF she would not have been welcome! Well, of course, it might not have been just the best situation in some instances, but it is great to me that all the kids seem to like to go to their house. The only thing that really bothers me about this holiday is the stupid fireworks. Right now, we have a burn ban everywhere in Central North Texas. Even with a bit of drizzle, things can burn too easily. And then there are all the critters that are upset by the noise—like a cranky ol’ grandmother. They don’t make thunder shirts for grandmothers, do they?

 

Cleaned the dust bunnies out from under my bed before putting the wires to the new electric blanket on the floor. It needed mopping anyway, but it was a bit interesting to get the bed in the right position so that those things were easy to plug into the wall socket. Well, it’s done and now comes the hard part—trying to keep the dogs off my bed. Will try for a few more days to keep them in the crate. Think good thoughts for these two creatures having to deal with their cranky ol’ woman who bosses them around.

 

Athena is back on the nest again. Stood out there and talked to her about how sweet she looked sitting there on that nest. She talked to me, but did not get up. Who knows? Maybe an egg will result from all this sitting.

 

Connie gave both dogs a lamb’s leg bone. It has been interesting. They don’t fight over them, but Thompson had to hide one right away. Took the other one away from him and put it on a shelf on the deck. Then he went out and brought the hidden bone back into the house. So, now he has one and Sylvia has one. Funny dogs!

 

The booster shot has finally stopped making my arm sore. It was not all that bad, but now that it has stopped hurting, it makes me realize that the heat in that arm was from the shot. Oh well. Hope it works. Jenn said that one of the guys at work did not get the shot and got the virus and gave it to his family. One baby has been in the hospital and had to go back to the ER today. It pays to completely stay away from others or get the shot or both. Getting the shot is not a guarantee that you won’t get the virus, but it might keep you from giving it to someone else.

 

Just recovered the couch with the pieces of material that Connie gave me as upholstery stuff. It has been washed several times and used often, so it is pretty tough cloth. Nothing is dog proof, but this is about as close as it gets.

 

Have a purple hat to wear tomorrow or for a while. Will have to find my other knit hats for this next month or two. Winter is so much better in some ways than summer, but worrying about the water lines is not a happy thing. If it were ever my job to construct a new place to live with all the amenities, my water lines would be wrapped, heated, or whatever it takes to prevent freezing. Cannot imagine how folks in Canada deal with this mess every winter. And Alaska just makes me shake my head.

 

Do you know where math teachers go on vacation? Well, Google says that they go to Times Square.

 

Obviously, it does not take much to amuse me right now. My head is lighter, ya see. Ahem.

 

This artificial creation of a new year in winter makes about as much sense as saying it happens on July 4. My new year starts when the grass begins to come up, the trees begin to put on leaves, and the birds begin to build new nests. But whatever date it is, this old girl is going to have to get another calendar. My mind does not work with the calendar on my phone. And the clock on the wall that has hands on it makes it much easier for me to think about what time it is. It must be something in the mindset of folks as old as yours truly. But those who have grown up in a digital world are so much quicker to adapt to innovations as they develop. Guess it is just a matter of perspective. All the memories in my mind are from a world these young ones have never seen nor will ever really understand. Photos and stories just don’t do justice to churning butter, shelling beans, hoeing the rows, or milking the cows. So, my calendars have always included what has happened in my past because those things are still alive to me. Probably the same with my grandparents, parents, and extended family. My brother remembers things and brings them to mind during our conversations. So glad that he still enjoys talking to me. Hope my children find the same satisfaction in their lives.

 

May your lives be full of good memories and more time to create the love that those memories have brought. May God continue to bless us, and may we remember Him in gratitude. Rest well, my friends. You are loved.

No comments: