Monday, June 14, 2021

Not Only the Hens!

 

Not Only the Hens!

Yep, some of us get broody, but not necessarily motherly. As in, just plain irritable. That’s me today. It’s hot; my body doesn’t seem to like me; the dogs are not too happy; and my hens are hotter than even that. Two broody hens are being offered to my friend Michelle DeMers, but have not heard from her. Which makes me wonder if she is on a cruise somewhere. That would be totally lovely for her, at least. Have two other broody-like hens that are going to join the other two if they start fussing with me. Honestly, what creature out there would want to sit on eggs in this heat!! Crazy critters!

Jennifer decided to look for a housekeeper for me. Have not heard from the young woman she mentioned, so we will see how that works out. Anyway, at least once a month should help considerably. Most of the stuff around here is not that bad. Can strip and make my bed without any problem, but the floors and dusting are a bit much. Yes, dog hair everywhere is part of the problem, but the fact that the dust bunnies are vicious bothers me most. Just keeping the vacuum emptied is another one of the chores that gets to me. And guess what is inside that vacuum that fills it up in a hurry—dog hair! Jenn said that this young woman considers herself an organizer. Yep, that would be very handy indeed. Have a couple of things that need to be organized and some stuff given away or otherwise disposed of to a needy source. Thinking that just two changes of blankets are needed for the couch instead of six or more. Sigh Washing those blankets and getting rid of the extra would make more storage space. Same with the closet in my back bathroom. Have clothes in there that have not been worn in more than two years. Time to get rid of them.

Looking out the front windows has changed considerably today. JoAnn had some guys remove the wooden fencing panels, so now the grass is all that really shows across there. She went in and raked up a load of little branches and other mess that would tear up a lawnmower. Now they should be able to mow it totally clean and even get the edges where the fencing panels were. Certainly hope that they can keep it mowed because the heat will dry out the grass in nothing flat. Having the road between my place and that one pretty well protects me from fire unless the wind gets up too high. Even so, my place is cut short for the same reason. Just once was enough to scare the poo out of me the year that we nearly lost the entire neighborhood to a wild fire. But then, the stinkin’ neighbor who always lets his grass get belly high to a tall giraffe has got his mown all the way to the ground for a change.

Patty called me last night to tell me that Donny was away for the night, but then it got stormy. That high wind and rain must have brought him home for the night. At least his truck and boat were at their house this morning. Really love having good neighbors even if it is just one family.

Have asked the boys to bring their weed eater and small lawnmower to take care of the things that could not be done with the zero turn. The front yard is just too tight for the zero-turn mower. Always something out there that gets to be a bit much. Have those danged khaki weeds that poison weed spray won’t kill. Jenn gave me a thing to use to dig them out, but guess who hurts trying to use it. ARGH! Just about the time the perfect tool comes along, the other part of the equation falls apart!

Have mint in the herb box that needs to be shared with whomever needs or wants some. Please let me know if any of you want some. Sent a boatload home with Jenn and still have too much left for anything else to grow in the herb box. The rosemary is well established, but the thyme and sage are being pushed around in there!

Also have a small rose bush that someone needs. It can still be dug up at this point, but it will be getting too hot to move it soon. Not sure but think it is a small red rose. It came from the roots of a red rose, at least.

My petunias are beautiful! And walking outside is an adventure in perfumed air! They are just the best flowers in the entire world! They last forever and come back every year like clockwork! Lewis would have loved the fact that they are about to take the place! Even the hens have not killed the ones that are growing out back in the flower beds and around the bottom of the foundation on the west end of the house. That is an especially hot place for anything to grow, but grow and bloom they are!

Doing my best to stay away from any “news” right now. Know that God is in charge, and that is about how it takes my mind off of the rest of the world. About all I can do is love others when possible. That means you.

 

No comments: