Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Shooting Squirrels!

 Shooting Squirrels!

 

“Som a Batch!” Yep, the old woman used some Texan language today as the squirrel flew over her shoulder from the door facing inside the middle coop! Knew something was getting into the nests, but did not realize that the danged squirrel was disturbing the hens and messing up their nests. Today it broke an egg in one nest and then flew by me on its way out of the coop. Thompson could not catch it, but Jennifer suggested an idea. She wants me to cock my pellet gun, sit on the deck and listen to a book and wait for the varmint to get inside again. Then, maybe, if my aim is true and quick enough, that will be one dead, nasty, bushytailed rat fink! Now to download an audible book.

 

It has been a rough day in one way. Allergies are SO interesting—NOT! My head feels two sizes bigger than it needs to be because of the throbbing headache. Michelle Malay told me that as long as it is just a headache, no fever, or nausea then it is just allergies. Honestly don’t care what it is at this point. Just would like to have my head back on my shoulders and not wobbling!

 

Went to Sam’s to fill the prescription for Thompson’s Galliprant 60 mg. Last time the stuff cost $71 plus some change. This time it was $83.41 for the 30 pills. Dagnabit! Will try to remind my nephew to see if he can find any in Mexico. Wish someone else that lived down there could get it for me. Shucks, it would be worth a hundred bucks just to get enough for a year’s supply since it is almost that much for ONE month here! Deep sigh.

 

Went to Market Street and got some salad stuff and some 97 cents-a-pound chicken breasts. Sterling said that the companies in Arkansas have huge freezers full to the brim of the stuff, and a backlog like that will keep the prices down for a while. Meanwhile the plants that process the stuff are down to 40% working hours and no real buys for the farmers who have chickens. In other words, our benefit is at the expense of the farmers and the folks who work for the chicken factories! Eventually the farmers will go under or stop producing, at the very least. It is not a good time to raise chickens or turkeys. Don’t know about pigs. Cattle, well, look at the price now and triple that by the end of the year when it can’t be found or will be coming from Argentina. My neighbor tells me that she can’t stand the taste of venison. It occurred to me that we have several different kinds of deer in Texas. We have those white-tailed jumpers here where they have the spotted ones south of here. My guess is the grass would be different and the taste different. But that is guessing. Someone who actually hunts and eats the stuff would know the difference. But have been told that beef from Argentina and other South American places is tough. Anyone know?

 

It would not bother me to buy lamb from Australia or New Zealand, but have enjoyed eating lamb for years. We had one from a place called Kouri’s here in WF where they cooked a locally sourced lamb. Out in Windthorst they raised lambs for years. But who knows if they do now. Have not been out there in years. My friend Kim Bragg might sell a lamb, but it would be a yearling by the time it was sold. That is a lot of lamb. Then a neighbor on down on North Church Street said he really liked squirrel. Hmm. He can have my share!

 

Got gasoline today at the United quick fill up place and used my reward points. Over half a tank for $23 did not bother me at all. Now have to remember to go put the jug in the work shop. Might want to mow something some day in the future.

 

We know and tell ourselves that we will remember each day to be grateful for the many blessings given to us by God, but some days keep us moving too fast to stop and pray with purpose. All we can do—any of us—is to make that stop and let Him know that we know He loves us.

 

Rest well, my friends. You are loved.

No comments: