Sunday, September 28, 2008

How Much Worth in an Opinion?

I love to read almost anything by Dr. Mardy Grothe. I bought one of his books called Oxymoronica some time back and will have to get a copy of his new book I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like. He gives quotations from famous people in his newsletters. Somehow the subjects nearly always hit the spot or thought for the week. Currently we have much debate in the U.S. over politics and economics. One of the first quotes he gave today made me grin and want to use it:

"Elinor agreed with it all, for she did not think he deserved the compliment of rational opposition." Jane Austen, from "Sense and Sensibility" (1811)

When someone finds fault with my reasoning, or what is perceived to be the lack thereof, I just grin (figuratively or literally) and nod and go right along thinking my own thoughts. I don't mind discussing ideas rationally, but I won't stoop to name calling. Somehow I don't think anyone has enough experience to match me on that particular field unless it would be some good little Jewish mama whose name calling would be spoken or written in Yiddish. And most people would not recognize when they had been insulted anyway.

For anyone who actually enjoys the exercise of the brain cells, I highly recommend anything collected by Dr. Mardy Grothe. www.drmardy.com

Enjoy!

No comments: