Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Old Fogies


Ok, admit it!  Everyone at some time or other has held back from becoming involved in something just because it seems like a fad.  Hulahoops were the craze when I was younger [sometime in the past 60 odd years], but none of the kids of this modern era know how to roll the string on a top and throw it to make it spin.  Although I am not sure that I could still do that one, at least I am tall enough now that my yo yo could actually do both yo’s.  That might not mean anything to anyone who is an adult, but I was very short when the boys were learning how to yo yo.  Mine would go down—and then hit the ground and sit there.  How sad.

 

Well, now I have been persuaded to take part in another online activity.  I can’t twitter like a bird or pick blackberries because of chiggers, but I can write a comment or two on Face Book.  Someone told me that Face Book is addictive.  That must be for those who don’t chase dust bunnies for exercise.  If anything is addictive, it is that silly game the oldest child gave us:  Chuzzles Deluxe.  All these silly little balls wear sunglasses and make funny noises when they are poked; then they explode into shreds of fuzz when they are lined up in a row.  And the neat thing about them is that there is no real mess to clean up after the explosions.  How neat is that!

 

Oldest child noted that I was like a kid in a candy store with this Face Book thing.  I remember my one and only trip to a REAL candy store when I was a little critter.  Uncle Morgan went with us to Traskwood, Arkansas.  On the way there he wanted to stop and get some candy at a real candy store.  That is all they had there—jar after jar and shelf of pretty candy.  Uncle Morgan said he would get some for me.  Dad said I could have ONE thing.  Someone said horehound (not me!) and I ended up with this really nasty stuff in my mouth.  Rolling eyes with the memory. . . If I ever get to go chocolate shopping in the Hill Country again, you can bet I will go to Hico and buy some chocolate something…NOT horehound anything!  Hmm.  Thinking about the trip I have been promised after the tractor is running again….

 

Tomorrow is Earth Day.  I would celebrate but think I will wait until I am ready to take my dirt bath or whatever.  Meanwhile we put feed out for the birds and watched a couple of ducks enjoying the grains.  Apparently they are not afraid of us because they waited until the supply was replenished at least once while we watched.  Fang says we will have to put the bird bath out there for them.  That’s reasonable.  Now all we need is a bird hotel.

 

Summer is on its way, but for the time being, the weather is gorgeous.  Our roses are blooming as if their lives depended on it—except for one bush which has already turned up its toes and died.  I have no idea what I do to some plants to make them give up.  Maybe it’s my attitude.

 

Well, the vacuum dog just came in to clean up the office floor for us.  It must be time to call it a night.  If someone knows any way to train a dog to dust and mop…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

.....Dirt NAP......

Nancy Dickerson said...

Yes, the dirt nap is the final episode. The rest of us just take dirt baths until then...playing in the dirt, digging, growing, etc. Well, come to think of it, after cremation, it would be a mixing more than a nap, huh. Whatever. It won't matter by then.